Several members of the Association attended this International Commemoration in Music on the 21 July in the cathedral at Coutances, which had survived the bombardments of June 1944 almost completely unscathed. This service and concert celebrated the Liberation of Coutances on 28 July 1944, acknowledged the sacrifice of all combatants of the Battle of Normandy and the civilian victims of the bombardment of Coutances and also celebrated the seventy-five years of ensuing peace and harmony between the peoples of Europe.
The service, which included bible readings, was led by le Père Jamelot, rector of the cathedral and Donna Derrick, minister of the Anglican church of La Manche. The concert music chosen included chamber pieces by Edward Elgar and Mendelssohn, arias by Purcell as well as pieces for organ by Jehan Alain and Kurt Weill played by Jean-François Detree. The musicians had been invited by Stewart Miller and included Shu-Wei Tseng, piano, Amélie Mabire, violincello, Anne Tupling, violin and Frances Hook, soprano. The service was concluded by the hauntingly beautiful adagio from the oboe concerto of Alessandro Marcello played by Julie Arnaud, standing in the organ loft.
After the service the portes-drapeaux and congregation proceeded to the memorial garden where the Mayor of Coutances, Monsieur Lamy, gave a speech, acknowledging the debt of gratitude that we all have to those who had made the ultimate sacrifice. Louise laid a wreath on behalf of the Anglophone Association and others paid simple, personal floral tributes some of which were handpicked flowers from individuals’ gardens.
C’est sous le soleil de Normandie et dans une atmosphère chaleureuse et conviviale que nous avons célébré le 14 juillet chez Louise et Dave en compagnie d’une cinquantaine d’adhérents et quelques invités.
L’apéritif et le cocktail non alcoolisé offerts à l’arrivée a permis à tout le monde de se retrouver ou de faire connaissance.
Le délicieux buffet préparé par les membres du comité était formidable et co-pieux, avec toute une variété de plats pour le plaisir des yeux et des papilles !!!
Bravo encore aux membres du comité pour avoir organisé diverses acti-vités permettant de collecter des fonds pour le SNSM- les Sauveteurs en Mer.
Celles ci étaient :
Pétanque, jeux de coquilles d’huîtres, lotto, ventes de livres/DVD/CD d’occasion, vente aux enchères de 2 T-shirt de la SNSM, carte au trésor et deviner le poids du gâteau fait maison.
Toutes ces activités ont permis de collecter la somme de 345,48€.
Tous nos remerciements et félicitations aux membres du comité pour avoir organisé cette belle journée et surtout nous remercions sincère-ment Dave et Louise pour nous avoir accueillis tous si chaleureusement et amicalement dans leur jardin pour célébrer cet événement dans la joie et la bonne humeur.
Les gagnants étaient :
Pétanque/boules : Sue et Salomé
Jeu des coquilles d’huîtres : Jerry
La carte au trésor : Andy
Poids du gâteau deviné : Roxanne
1er prix du panier garni : Alan et Sharon
A small band of intrepid ramblers gathered early on 27th June in the forest of Pirou for the final walk before the summer break. The walk commenced in the heart of the forest and followed a circuit along forest tracks, passing secluded houses, and visiting a ruined windmill. The forest of Pirou consists of a population of maritime pine trees (Pinus pinaster) with long thick needles and clustered cones, native to the coasts of the Mediterranean and Iberia and a varied moorland environment.
The pine forest is quite dense in places, alternated with cleared areas. In recent years the forest has suffered from fires in the hot summers but it is remarkable how quickly the forest has regenerated. Careful forest management through the use of firewalls and clearings has helped to protect high-value plant and animal species within the forest. The floristic heritage interest focuses on the most open areas where dense populations are rare and / or protected at the national and regional level.
As we headed back to our start point for lunch the day was warming up and on arrival at the picnic area we were glad of the shade provided by the pine trees. The Lunch was a sumptuous affair with everyone sharing their delights. The walk was enjoyed by all and it was a fitting end to the walking group’s season.
Once again, our excellent guide and historian, Simon Tasset, brought another piece of Normandy stone to life and, in his inimitable style, allowed us all to imagine the reality of an earlier time.
He explained the relevance and importance of the site of this ancient château, originally of timber construction in a motte and bailey format, at this river crossing. The river itself had been diverted from its initial course to enhance the defence of the chateau. A church on the site had been recorded as early as the time of the French Duke of Normandy, Richard the Good (980 – 1026).
We learned of the ambitions and political strategies of one of its earliest documented owners, the colourful and war-hungry baron, Geoffroy d’Harcourt. His ambitions and aspirations had consequences far beyond St Sauveur and even Normandy, influencing English history and creating a link to England that materialised in its reconstruction in stone by English stone masons. In many respects it was considered locally as an English castle and remained a robust architectural statement until seriously damaged by the RAF in 1944.
Geoffroy, you see, was not a peace-loving baron and had military arguments with his close neighbours as well as further abroad (Flanders War). After a “private war” with baron Robert Bertan of Briquebec he was forced into exile, fleeing to England (1343) where he acknowledged the sovereignty of Edward III. He later assisted Edward to land in Normandy prior to the Battle of Crécy. Despite such treachery he was forgiven by the French king, Philippe de Valois, who bestowed upon him the responsibility of defending Lower Normandy. However old habits die hard with the treacherous and Geoffroy next supported a contender to the French throne, Charles of Navarre and he organised military action on behalf of Charles. He was killed in a skirmish, but not until after he had already bequeathed the castle of St Sauveur and it’s sovereignty to the English king in his will.
Geoffroy had spent much time and expense rebuilding the castle in stone and refortifying it to make it ready to receive the King of England. The French king, Philippe de Valois had confiscated the castle (1343) but after Geoffroy’s royal pardon in 1346 Philippe allowed him to continue with the rebuilding programme.
Understandably the two periods of English occupation of the castle at each end of the Hundred Years War (1357 – 1375 by Edward III and 1420 – 1450 by Henry V and Henry VI) were not popular with the French who laid siege twice.
The fortifications undertaken by Geoffroy included the perimeter stone walls with towers which replaced the timber palisades of the interior space of the chateau which was formerly referred to as the barnyard. There was also a dungeon documented and that can be seen to be the ground floor level of the large, remaining keep tower. Note the absence of windows on the ground.
Simon had a particularly large Harry Potter style ancient key in his hand and he used it to open the door of the keep. The dungeon level had no windows and was dark and inhospitable. A narrow, steep spiral staircase in the corner took us up to the first level, a large single room which had a huge fireplace and windows as well as a higher ceiling. The integral mantel of the very wide fireplace is testimony to the work of an English Master Mason since it differs from the more superficially attached French mantels of the time.
The second storey of the keep Simon described as Royal private sleeping quarters, with a somewhat more secretive and intimate nature, accessed by steps down into the room from the spiral staircase, thus allowing some soundproofing from the traffic on the staircase. The quarters also had the luxury of a loo hidden in the opposite corner to the entrance comprising of a hole in the floor. The third storey were guards quarters and we did not visit them due to the unsafeness of the floor. From an arched window on the second floor we could see the Abbey buildings in the distance behind pine trees. On exiting the keep we walked into the courtyard where we noticed the rise in the air temperature outside. One boundary of the courtyard is a fine fifteenth century stone building dating from Henry V’s occupation, with a chapel attached (photos bottom right). This large building gave access to the kitchens (first floor) which in turn had earlier connected to the adjacent Keep tower on the first level via an elevated timber walkway. The adjoining chapel building is now a visitors’ information office.
The interior of the perimeter curtain wall shows evidence of previous adjoining rooflines of ancillary buildings within the courtyard of the castle. There was obviously greater accommodation in an earlier era since Louis XIV turned it into a hospital in 1598 and it was also used as a prison during the French Revolution. Truly a chateau Polyvalente!
Another fine piece of active imaging by Simon …. Thank you.
On the 17 June Catherine, Jacques, Chris P, Kay, Gerry, Paul and myself met up for lunch at La Gare de Percy. We had a superb meal which set us up for the walk ahead.
We then met up with Mike and Judy outside of the Tourist Office in Villedieu where we split up into two teams, each armed with a list of questions and a map.
We had six general questions to answer and thirty-one relating to various points along the trail – there were a couple that neither team managed to get the answer to.
Unfortunately the walk proved too much for Kay. So she and Gerry had to give up half way round, which was a great pity. Hopefully in the near future she will be able to complete the trail and be pain free.
We saw parts of Villedieu we wouldn’t normally see, quaint courtyards and parks all with interesting plaques giving information about days gone by. You certainly had to keep your eyes peeled to be able to pick out some of the an-swers. They were intriguing, informative and some were subtle.
After a couple of hours, or more, we met up for some well-deserved refreshment and compared our answers. There were only two points between the teams, so well done to all.
We were also very lucky with the weather as it was a beautiful day to spend walking around a very interesting town.
There was a lot of thought that went into the trail and the questions, not to mention the walking involved, so a big “THANK YOU” goes to Chris R who was responsible for devising it all – it was just such a pity that so few members took part.
Our Dance Group has been meeting once a fortnight and, under the patient and long-suffering guidance of Louise, we have had great fun and much hilarity learning some more English and Scottish country dances.
Our season culminated in June in a small dance “show” at Le Manoir retirement home in Coutances and an end-of-season party at Gratot.
This was our second visit to a retirement home in Coutances to entertain the residents and on 14 June we were as warmly welcomed as before. There were twelve brave dancers, including and led by Louise, plus Dave Wilson on music and me giving a short introduction. We danced for about an hour, demonstrating four Scottish and two English dances, and then invited the staff to join in a couple with us, which they did with great enthusiasm, even pressing us for an extra one! They then provided us with refreshments (much needed and gratefully received!) while we had the chance to chat to some of the residents. It was a super experience, hopefully to be repeated … how many retirement homes are there in Coutances?!
Our end-of-season party on the 17th June at Gratot gave us a chance to do all our favourite dances, enjoy copious food and cider, and present Louise with a small thank-you gift to encourage her to put up with us again next season!
If any of you are interested in joining the Dance Group in September, please come along to give it a try – no prior experience needed and it’s amazing how uplifting dancing, music and laughter can be!
Les Roches de Ham form a sandstone escarpment, towering over the River Vire as it meanders around them. Their height of over one hundred metres provides a panoramic view of the adjacent countryside which consists of a mosaic of farmsteads and fields. Despite the sandstone terrain the steep slopes of the escarpment are densely wooded.
A relatively small group of walkers met in the car park which is situated near the highest point of the escarpment. The view of the river valley from this point is particularly attractive. The only way is down. We descended on a gentle path through dense woods and eventually joined a quiet road which took us further down to the river past an attractive thatched modern cottage. There are a number of colour-coded routes of different lengths marked for visitors and it is possible to reach the river without leaving the woodland. The river is quite wide and crossed by a substantial single span steel and concrete bridge. From this point we followed the slow moving river as it meandered over stony shallows. The river bank path took us past some attractive, out of the way gardens and from here you can appreciate the enormity of the sandstone cliffs. We eventually came to the return path which took us back to the summit up a long, gentle but de-manding climb of a path. Yes, the only way was up.
Certainly the most attractive part of this walk is the view from the top but at this point the most attractive thing became the thought of the crêperie and its menu. The small crêperie is tucked away, somewhat out of view from and below the car park. We had passed it on the way down when it had been closed but by now it had been transformed into something much more promising. The view from here is really lovely and the crêperie would be an especially attractive lunch venue on a true summer’s day. We enjoyed cider, galettes completes and a dessert crêpe, all efficiently served by the solitary owner.
As we left we made a promise to return again some sun-nier day. Thank you Dave for another enjoyable walk with views to remember.
Spring was definitely in the air for our April walk around Orval sur Sienne. Already cheered by the blue sky, sun, and a gentle breeze, the group set off. We were accompanied by one canine friend, already a veteran of our walks, and two new members who brought their dog along.
The time went by quickly, people chatting as they walked; new conversations starting as people changed groupings. There were some more challenging parts where muscles were certainly exercised, but this was worth it for the views we enjoyed.
At one point, some young bulls took a great interest in one of the dogs. Indeed they all followed us right to the end of their field, where we left them, still curious.
Well, a long walk deserves a reward…. Lunch was taken at à La Sienne. This restaurant has been used before and again, it did not disappoint. The cheerful lady who served us was welcoming and efficient. We had been asked to arrive for 1.30 so most of the regular customers had finished. I did wonder if this would mean that some menu choices would not be available. However, there was no need to worry. Everything on the board was still on offer and was very tasty. A very good value lunch at 12€ for 3 courses. Thank you Louise and Dave, for the well organized walk and for re visiting our lunch venue. Looking forward to the next one!
Tuesday began with an uncertain sky, the sort that encourages you to take an umbrella, which, of course, guarantees later sunshine, rendering the umbrella completely unnecessary. Our welcome at Le Poulailler was, as always, warm and friendly and the coffee and small viennoiseries were much appreciated. Before ten o’clock Anglophones had already started to gather to the bemusement of the solitary French local who had obviously anticipated a quiet few minutes for his coffee. I explained to him that we were Anglophones congregating for our annual meeting and he was surprised to learn that so many of us were residents, not tourists.
The Membership Secretary and his PA were kept busy with a continuous supply of membership renewals and cheques. Loik was kept busy with a continuous request for hot drinks. What a perfect place it is to meet! And, of course, the sky brightened, and we started to make our way in the cool April sunshine to Les Unelles for the meeting. Some thirty members attended in La Salle Jules Barbey D’Aurevilly. Who was Jules Barbey D’Aurevilly you may ask? Well, not just an obscure French name but actually a Byronesque literary figure, born in St Sauveur-le-Vicomte who was appreciated by Baudelaire and known for his dandyism and snobbery, adopting an aristocratic lifestyle and hinting at a mysterious past although his youth and childhood were actually relatively uneventful. His novels were famed for their risqué subjects. Weird Women, The She Devils and Happiness in Crime have each been translated into English if you are curious.
The President welcomed members to the meeting in an apologetic style, fearful that members might find the proceedings less than exciting. But how wrong could she be? Ahead of us was a treasurer’s report, the voting for the re-adoption of the charity, Les Sauveteurs en Mer for another year, news of three committee members who were giving notice of leaving the committee after three years of service and the cajoling of members to become new committee members.
There was a vote taken regarding whether or not the Association should apply for affiliation with the British Community Committee in France, which is an umbrella organisation of British associations in France, coordinating information on their activities and also able to represent their interests towards the British Embassy as well as the government in the UK. A strong majority of members voted in favour of making an application. The President advised members that this would be her last year so next April the Association will be looking for a new President too.
After the meeting the lunch at La Pergola was a pleasant opportunity to sit on the longest table in Coutances and shout at each other. We enjoyed good food which was efficiently served. My jambon in a cider sauce was delicious and the pizzas looked excellent. If you deserved it you got rhubarb tart and ice cream too.
Our first walk of the year saw a good gathering of people and numerous four legged friends set off from Créances Plage. Dave chose a coastal walk to avoid muddy and waterlogged woodland tracks, with all the recent rain this proved to be a wise choice. Créances plage is a wild beach bordered by dunes and extends north to the mouth of the Lessay harbour.
The route took us south through the dunes towards Pirou Plage and although it was a slightly fresh and misty start, once it cleared and we were striding out, it soon warmed up into a very pleasant day. After reaching Pirou, we headed back to our lunch venue and start point at Créances along the expansive beach with lovely views across to Jersey. The tide was out on the return which exposed the numerous oyster and mussel beds. The walk was enjoyed by all and a very well deserved lunch at La Badine (just a short stroll from the beach) was excellent value for money with a varied selection available. All in all, a very enjoyable first walk.